Almost one in five New South Wales drivers remembered getting their first car while only one in 20 remembered their first kiss, according to a GIO survey*
Online PR News – 16-July-2012 –Almost one in five New South Wales drivers remembered getting their first car while only one in 20 remembered their first kiss, according to a GIO survey(1).
GIO spokesperson Duncan Bone said our attachment to cars often starts early and continues throughout our lives.
"Our first car is often our first real taste of freedom and I think this creates a strong and ongoing association for many of us," he said.
GIO's research found this association and attachment transfers to new cars in particular, with 68 percent of drivers saying new cars provided a special feeling and 84 percent saying they would treat a new car differently to a used car.
"Our research found drivers are more likely to park a new car more carefully, get it serviced more often and repair minor dings," said Mr Bone.
“Our first car is often our first real taste of freedom and I think this creates a strong and ongoing association for many of us"”
"Perhaps less charitably, we're also not as likely to let family and friends drive our new car."
Recognition of this attachment led to the recent introduction of GIO's Platinum car insurance, which includes lifetime new car replacement for eligible customers(2).
"We wanted to replace not just the car but also the new car feeling, whether it was written off or stolen six months or twelve years after it was bought," said Mr Bone.
Because despite the economic pressure and uncertainty faced by many, Australians are buying more new cars than ever. Over the past decade, new car sales have risen by 23 percent(3). More than one million new cars are sold every year across Australia and there are 12.3 million cars on our roads in total(3). In NSW in May alone, 27,985 new cars were sold.
GIO's research(1) found the most important reason drivers bought a new car was trust, followed closely by the ability to get exactly what they want. Less important was the pride of having a new car, the latest safety features or the latest styling.
"The number one reason people buy a new car is trust. As the only owner they feel they can be sure of its history and trust its reliability," said Mr Bone.
• 18 percent remembered getting their first car, nine percent their first pay cheque and six percent their first kiss
Likely behavior with a brand new car
• Park it more carefully – 54 percent
• Get it serviced more often – 38 percent
• Repair any minor dings – 32 percent
• Not let my friends or family drive it – 22 percent
• Unlikely to treat it differently – 16 percent
Reasons people buy a new car
• Know its history and trust its reliability – 50 percent
• Get exactly what I want – 44 percent
• Want the latest styling/technology – 29 percent
• New cars are safer – 28 percent
• Pride of owning new car – 24 percent
• Better value new than used – 19 percent
• Love the new car smell – 19 percent
(1) Newspoll Market & Social Research conducted an independent internet survey of 764 Australian drivers, 18 years of age and older, across New South Wales and Victoria in 2012. Data was collected in line with ISO 20252 – Market, Social and Opinion Research and has been weighted with current ABS population demographics to ensure any extrapolation of results is representative of age, sex and area.
(2) The customer has to be the first registered owner, take out GIO Platinum cover within a year of buying the car new and keep the cover continuously until the date of the loss. Other conditions also apply. Insurance issued by GIO General Ltd ABN 22 002 861 583. Read the PDS before making any decisions. Contact GIO on 13 10 10 for a copy.
(3) Australian Bureau of Statistics, Sales of New Motor Vehicles and Census data.
GIO General Ltd is the issuer and leading provider of insurance products such as car insurance, CTP insurance (in NSW), home insurance, boat insurance, caravan insurance, travel insurance, business insurance, public liability and workers' compensation insurance. For more information please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement or policy wording at gio.com.au or call us for a copy on 13 10 10.